This event is in the past.
Brewers! TRASH Members! TRUB Members! AHA Memebers! Bring your brewing equipment out to MoreBeer in Ambridge and join us for a day of brewing in celebration of the American Homebrewers Association's National Homebrew Day. You can read general info about the AHA BIg Brew on the AHA web site.
If you like brewing, if you like talking about homebrew, sharing ideas, checking out others' set-ups, then this event is for you. Please RSVP, grab a ticket, and plan to be there.
To attend, you must register and get a (free) ticket. If you register by the end of the day on Thursday, April 23rd, 2015, you will be emailed a MoreBeer coupon code on Friday, April 24th to use for purchasing your ingredients.
The event is open to:
- Dues-paid TRASH members
- Dues-paid TRUB members
- Active AHA Members
You can join any of these organizations on-site at the Big Brew.
Recipe: The AHA has published three recipes to choose from this year - Columbus Pale Ale, Old School Barleywine, and Killer Kolsch - all from Gordon Strong's new book, Modern Homebrew Recipes. You can choose to brew any one you wish. The recipes, extract and all-grain, are available here. It is up to you to purchase your ingredients and bring them to the Big Brew. As mentioned above, there will be a MoreBeer coupon mailed out to all registered attendees on Friday, April 24th for you to use to purchase your ingredients. Please get your order in no later than Tuesday, April 28th to ensure delivery in time for the event. If your order exceeds $59, shipping is free and will arrive within 3 days, often arriving in 1-2.
What to expect on Big Brew Day
- Arrive by 9:00 AM.
- Bring your own Propane, burners, brew system, whatever you need to make wort.
- If possible, bring plastic or stainless containers to take your wort home in. Traveling with full glass carboys is dangerous. Fermenter buckets or better bottles are preferred. Another option is to bring some clean, sanitized kegs to use for transporting your wort, then rack it to your feremnter when you get home.
- Bring garden hoses for your chillers. There are eight hose hookups within 100' of where we'll be set up, but not enough hoses on site. Bring hoses!
- If you need electricity (110), bring extension cords. There are 6 outlets within 50' of where we'll be brewing, more available within 100'. Bring extension cords!
- Don't bring your yeast. You'll be better off pitching the yeast when you get home.
- Do make a yeast starter a couple of days in advance.
- If possible, mill your grain the day before unless you really want to bring your mill to the event. Remember, there will be limited electrical outlets.
- Ambridge city water will be available to brew with. A carbon filter is available on one of the faucets, but if you don't want to wait in line for filtered water, consider bringing your own brewing water.
- Bring plenty of homebrew or commercial beer to share!
- Bring chairs - folding chairs, camp chairs, etc!
- If you have a canopy tent, please bring it! We'll be out in the open; any source of shade will be welcome in the off-chance we get a sunny day in Pittsburgh.
- Grab breakfast beforehand. We will not be providing breakfast.
- We're figuring out what to do for lunch; we'll likely order in from some place nearby around mid-day. Please bring some cash to get in on the order.
- Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you there! Cheers!